This book is a joint effort. Members of the book committee are:
|H. Slayton Altenburg
F. Darnall Daley
Stephen M. Henning
Glenn S. Piper
Starting in November of 2008, an appeal was made through all local newspapers and the Council newspaper Herbie Hawk for
contributions of articles, pictures, newspaper clippings, and personal stories. Well over 100 individuals responded with nearly 6,000
items. When duplicate items were submitted, the earliest one was used except when a subsequent photo was in better condition.
The editor wishes to acknowledge these contributors:
H. Slayton Altenburg
William E Beadle
William Francis Busher
Terry Carpenter Jr.
F. Darnall Daley
Joe Faust, Jr.
David S. Fry
Historical Society of Berks County
Joseph Jones Sr.
Robert S Krebs
Charlotte O. Moyer
Glenn S. Piper
Eric C. Shafer
Vic Snyder, Jr.
The archives of Hawk Mountain Council are rich with material collected by Eugene Druckenmiller, Richard C. Bennett, Scotty
Bradbury, and many other undocumented donors.
Since Scouting started in 1907, there have been many excellent books and articles on Scouting and the people who made it happen.
In the preparation of this book, the editor used many of these as references, but used a few for significant amounts of information.
These books are:
- Block, Nelson; A Thing of the Spirit, The Life of E. Urner Goodman. Boy Scouts of America, 2000
- Block, Nelson; The Founding of Wood Badge, Boy Scouts of America, 1994
- Boy Scouts of America; 1985 Commemorative Program, 1985 by Hawk Mountain Council
- Boy Scouts of America; A History of the Order of the Arrow, 1996
- Boy Scouts of America; A History of Wood Badge in the United States, 1988
- Boy Scouts of America; History of Cub Scouting, 1987
- Boy Scouts of America; History of The Daniel Boone Council, BSA, 1911-1966, 1968 by Daniel Boone Council
- Boy Scouts of America; numerous articles from Boys’ Life Magazine, various issues
- Boy Scouts of America; numerous articles from Scouting Magazine, various issues
- Davis, Kenneth P.; The Brotherhood of Cheerful Service, A History of the Order of the Arrow, Boy Scouts of America
- Kittatinny Lodge #5, Order of the Arrow; History of First 21 Years of Minsi Lodge 5 and Lists of Officers Minsi Lodge 1921-71,
- Memeu Lodge 1938-71, Kittatinny 1971-87, March 7, 1987
- Kutztown Historical Society, Along the Saucony, Vol. 14, Sept. 1991, Pp. 30-31.
- Moynihan, Paul & Lord Baden-Powell; An Official History of Scouting, Octopus Publishing Group, 2006
- Murray, William D.; Scouting Marches On, The History of the Boy Scouts of America, 1937, Boy Scouts of America
- Willis, Chuck; Boy Scouts of America: A Centennial History Book, 2008, Boy Scouts of America
The editor of this book is grateful for permission to use many illustrations that are property of the Boy Scouts of America.
As this book was going for publication, people were still submitting material which was too late for inclusion.
This book was printed in the United States by Kutztown Publishing.
HMC Book Project
5027 Pottsville Pike
Reading, PA 19605-1284